Training Widget

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Rue's Debut!

Yes, it has been a long time since my last blog. I hope to improve on that this season. I will at least try posting race reports and our crazy journey to Augusta 70.3 where I will be trying to PR on my Haines City 70.3 time of 8:17.

As a bit of reward for the long hours and training to Haines City, I decided to go for a Tri-bike. Hey, if you are serious, we have to have the right gear! Rue is a bad-ass (hence her Honey Badger nickname) 2012 Quintana Roo, CD 0.1 shift series with Shimano Ultegra gears and carbon wheels. She is, in a word, amazing! I have had my eye on her (along with a lot of other women I am told) for several months.

After 1.5 hour bike fit on Wednesday with Dave at Kona Multisport, took her for a test ride in their parking lot. Surprisingly, I took to her easy, clipped in and set off! Getting into aero was a different trick. After a few minutes, I tried to settle into the bars, felt very strange and definitely had a few moments where I thought I would fall, but managed to stop myself from steering with my hands and instead use my elbows/core as Dave had instructed. Still going at a "slowish" pace in the parking lot, I managed aero for the first time! Whoohoo.

We had to wait until Saturday for our right after JC and Badger's fitting, but I was ready to go. We got to the Windy Woods (Flatwoods Park) around 2pm and set off. Despite the intense heat, it was a great ride. I realized  a few things:


  • Getting into aero at 10 mph is VERY different at 18 mph!
  • Sit forward on an Adamo seat or suffer a "hoo" that doesn't "ha" so much!
  • Carbon wheels will SLICE through a headwind, PROPEL you in a tail wind and become 2 HUGE sails during a crosswind!
  • I totally need to improve my core strength to ride aero efficiently.

Lessons learned, I headed out this morning for our second ride with Kate and Alfie (hope I spelled it right). We started around 9:30am, and although I love the fact I can sleep in, the Florida heat became way too intense after a mere 18 miles. I did manage to ride the majority of the time in aero which helped my confidence. Lessons from today's ride:

  • Aero bars will shift left and right if not tightened...not a good thing at 19 mph (why am leaning so far left.....ruhroh!)
  • Sipping water from front mounted bottle and pedaling and staying upright takes a lot of thought!
  • Don't think about steering in aero or you will end up on the ground! 
  • Don't concentrate on anything outside of a few feet in front of you for any length of time or you will end up on the ground AGAIN. :)
I think Rue and I found our sweet spot today. There was no stress on the legs and I managed to average 19 mph without a wind/cross wind and 16 mph in the headwinds without effort on my part. Although I didn't try running, my legs felt fresh after both rides. That will be for next week!

Now...onto AUGUSTA!

Rue and I in my Kona Tri kit

Light as a feather!

2 comments:

  1. You 2 were made for each other and a well deserved reward! A great choice on the bike ...although I may be a bit biased, LOL!

    ReplyDelete