Training Widget

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Blood on the Trail

Everyone who has spent some time with me knows my uncle's name is Murphy... as in Murphy's Law, "Anything that can go wrong will." They know that I am the antithesis of grace in anything I do...if there is an accident waiting to happen...it will surely happen to me. And it did. 


On my way to Flatwoods....
The week had been crazy due to work related issues, causing me to miss several training sessions and time with my cohort in crime, JC. I was very much looking forward to our long bike, a 50 miler in at our usual stomping grounds of Flatwoods Park, just miles up the road. I woke up bright and early, got ready, packed up Rue and our gear and headed out. We had to meet at Morris Bridge entrance because of the flooded out trail on the BBD entrance, so it took me a bit longer than usual to get into park. After donning my helmet, shoes and pumping tires, I set off to do a few loops around the parking lot to practice my turns while waiting for JC. The day was starting off wonder, sun in the sky, a long ride with my favorite guy, and lots of promising things in my future.

I met up with Nick, a coworker and fellow cyclist, in the parking lot. We had a short conversation as he was planning to go roller blading. In passing during a conversation about bicycle safety, I had mentioned, "I have never had a serious bike crash, though I fall all the time." I realized seconds later that I had broken the cardinal rule. I had summed the ghost of Uncle Murphy to lay his dreaded curse upon me.

JC and I set off and our ride was superb! The winds were low our speed was high. We sprinted every few miles pushing it up to 22mph for 0.5 mile or so on a few occasions. I got KC'd (see JC's blog) and dropped by random cyclist who issued us a challenge (the good news, JC hung on him till the end of the trail, Strong Work!).  I was even able to take the sharp left hand turn at the BBD trailhead in aero position at 16mph. Whoohoo!

On our 5th lap around the park, I was feeling a bit hot, very thirsty and difficult concentrating. I should have known the early signs of heat exhaustion. I also have a tendency to zone out on the bike. These two things were not a good combination this day. I remember turning a curve and seeing two walkers on the right, side by side. I figured I had enough time to take a sip from my water and still pass them without issue. I dropped my head, grabbed my sip and when I brought my head back up....

I was right on tip of them! I knew instantly if I didn't swerve, I would have plowed right into the walker. So it happened, I unclipped my right foot, reached for the break and leaned left all at the same time....and while in AERO. Definitely not a good thing!

I lost control, hit the ground at 20mph, first with my left hip, then left shoulder, and finally my left temple. I don't know how far I slid, but it must have been several feet based on the road rash. I only remember feeling the burn from my knees to head. Upon stopping, I tried to get up, within an instant I saw JC fishtailing to a stop a few yards in front of me. Then a warm rush of liquid covered my face and my left eye began to sting, I looked down and saw huge drops of bright red blood falling from head. My peripheral vision dimmed and I felt like I was about to pass out so I dropped my arms and laid on the asphalt trying to think of what do to next. 

I am so thankful JC was there. He quickly rallied the walkers and other cyclists who had stopped to move my bike and he carried me to the side of the road in the gravel. He stood by me, helping me apply pressure the large gash on my left forehead while keeping my spirits up. One of the cyclists stopped and called 911 while the walker I had clipped ran to the nearest water stop to get the ranger's number.  Many minutes passed and he stayed by my side. Eventually the ranger came and he helped keep the sun off of me. 

I remember just trying to stay awake. Trying to keep moving my extremities. Trying to focus on the voices (I couldn't see because of blood and sun in my eyes). I felt so bad that I had ruined everyone's ride and walks and hope they all were able to salvage the day!


Driver and EMT
Battle Wounds All Dressed Up
After 42 minutes, EMS and Fire Rescue made it. They promptly got me into the ambulance and we were on our way to Tampa General Hospital. JC rode with Rue and Badger back to the card to meet me in the hospital. The ambulance ride was the begininng of things getting better... my EMT and driver whose names I didn't get (but see them below) were great. He is going into the Marines this fall to defend our freedom to swim, bike, run as we please. So many thanks to them!

At TGH, I met up with JC, got cleaned up, scanned (yes, I still have a brain in the there) and after a few hours met the ENT who stitched me up.  Dr. Ito, one USF's finest residents was on call this week. He was a bit worried that he was taking care of an "Attending" (technically higher on chain of command), but I encouraged him that I was merely a patient and he was the expert here. He had smooth and skilled hands and a great bedside manner. Kudos to him. He is a fine surgeon!

Dr. Ito
Hard At Work Making Me Beautiful!


Finally got discharged and headed home to get cleaned up and an early bedtime. I will say showering has not been fun. Ironically, the road rash hurts the most, with an intense stinging pain when anything touches it...so lots of bacitracin and tegaderm until that skin grows back. 

So in the end the list of injuries...
- 3 cm left temple laceration down to pericranium with several layers of stitches
- loss of temporal nerve branch of facial nerve (basically I cannot raise my left eyebrow)
- road rash on both knees and about 80% of left arm, left flank
- multiple ant bites/spider bites
- mild concussion.
Left arm/shoulder
Left Forearm


Left Knee
Right Knee



Before

After

The New Spock Look


And I got off easy. After speaking with our friends at Kona Multisport and doctors they all say I would have died had I not been wearing a helmet. The impact was so severe it scraped a layer off the outside of helmet and cracked it through and through. It frightens me to think of all the cyclists (including minors) out on the trails that do not wear helmets. If my crash can help, let me say.... WEAR YOUR HELMET AND SAFETY GEAR! 

And what you say of Rue! JC helped make sure she stayed well too. He hosted her for the evening (she says he was very good to her, though he did have to manhandle her to fit her in his car, LOL) and brought her back to me so we could get our Tri-Experts to take a look at her. Very minimal damage, but she is staying over Kona for a few days for a full physical (thanks Dustin, Kurt, and Hunter!). 
Rue at the Dr.

Battered and Bruised

Several lessons learned.....
- Wear your helmet...need I say it again.
- Get a new helmet after a crash (hey another reason to upgrade to something pink and pretty!)
- Listen to your body
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Always have JC at your side!


On the way home from hospital....


2 comments:

  1. Oh you poor thing! You are a trooper cause I would have been a blubbering mess in that ambulance. So sorry you fell. :( Good thing is that you were wearing a helmet and nothing was broken that can't be replaced. I hope to meet you this weekend even if you come out for a little sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy shit woman! I am glad you are ok!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete