Training Widget

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Life is a Lemon: Learning How to Make Lemonade in the Savannah River


I have never thought of myself as an overachiever, in fact quite the opposite. Apparently, I am learning that is a truism of most overachievers. So not to disappoint, the Fates threw at me several life stressors (thankfully most of them positive)  within the last 6 weeks: (1) a serious bike crash, (2) leaving friends, staff, and patients at my old hospital, (3) starting a new job, (5) selling and buying a new home, (4) and training for my second 70.3 in Augusta, Georgia. Slowly but surely things are falling into place and I am quite happy at my succesful finish in Augusta... though how I got to the finish line is quite a different story. 

T- minus 3 days 

I had a previous speaking engagement in Fort Walton Beach, Florida on Wednesday so was flying back in on very small plane that morning. A quick drive home to switch bags and change and JC and I were off on the 9 hour drive Georgia. Many lessons were learned about traveling in North Florida and GA:

- Stay on the highways whenever possible (I swear we heard dueling banjos while gassing up)
- There is no such thing as sugar free or non-processed food
- Cotton grows on trees (okay that's for another blog...)

We arrived at our home away from home, Holiday Inn Express in Augusta late but unpacked, a quick bite and off to bed before a busy day of checking in and expo festivities in the morning.

T- minus 2 days

It was so relaxing being able to check-in so early. We ate a quick breakfast at KC's corner (who knew KC was branching out into sports nutrition...) and waited for Packet Pickup and Expo to open. Staff were friendly and very organized. Being inside was a BIG plus in comparison to Haines City where the expo was hot and humid.  After breezing through the packet pickup it was time to shop! Of course, we spent way to too much, but we totally NEEDED everything we bought. We shopped till we dropped, scouted out the swim start and Riverwalk and rounded off the day with a nice meal at the Expo Hotel Restaurant. Such a beautiful and quiet day...lessons learned:

- Always keep JC with you in the Expo or I am capable of spending next month's mortgage payment
- Everyone needs more tri-related tech T's, caps, and visors no matter how many boxes they just finished packing filled with the same exact items
- Remember your support crew
- Try not step in an anthill while walking on the Riverwalk the days before an "A" race (I am not brandishing an anklet of welts from where they encircled my socks)

Why would KC say no bicycles in this area?!
Shop, shop, shop!

Beware the River Zombies....

T- minus 1 day

Butterflies were beginning to surface in my belly. I had and have been having some gut issues related to my prior bypass and gastritis. We woke up early and got out to do some last minute workouts to keep limber. 

- 20 minute swim in hotel pool with wetsuit to get all kinks out - CHECK
- 20 minute run around the parking lot with small hills - CHECK
- 10-15 minute ride to make sure gears/tires were all good on Rue - CHECK

Then off to the transition area to leave Rue. My nerves were definitely rising, but we dropped off our trusty steeds and scouted out the swim out. The Race Swim Director was actually waterside and answered several of our questions and concerns. Goods news, the river would have about a 1.5 mph current pushing us (sadly enough that is more than my normal pace), water temperature was about 76 so likely wetsuit legal, you could just tread water and still make it to the finish before cut offs...my kind of swim!

After a quick lunch we were off scout the bike course. Lots of people were driving and riding (even a few without helmets, can we say read "Blood on the Trail"). The course was daunting to me. Although I grew up in the mountains of northwest NJ, I have only trained in Florida, where the community speed bumps represent my "hill repeats". JC assured me it would be fine and nothing seemed "undo-able" after our metric century ride hitting every major bridge in Pinellas county...TWICE.

Back to the hotel, gear set up, bags packed and off to bed. Sleep? Nah...of course we were both up every hour watching the clock and trying to settle our nerves. 

Lessons learned:
- Arrive early to race venue, it was so beneficial to have time on our hands to get everything done
- No matter how much you have prepared, you will always think you forgot something

Swim finish...so much for not being able to swim the day before!


JC and Gunner Ready to Rock





Saying goodnight to Rue

Race Day!

Up and early we were out. We got to transition about 30 minutes before they opened, but found great parking about 1/4 mile out. We snoozed a bit in car and then made our way to set up. I found Rue, chatted with my fellow rack mates. We had a Beth and Summer sighting which is always fun. 

Morning bags in hand we were in the shuttle back to swim start when it hit me I forgot my inhaler back at transition. I also had forgotten to take a puff which I always do before leaving transition. I quickly moved it out of my mind. Although I have known exercise induced asthma, it has never really bothered me during a swim. So I focused on worrying about the normal pre-race issues...

- Where are the porta-potties?
- What am going to do in the hour after JC starts?
- Am I going to fall of the bike, again?!

We met up with Sherrie who help calm me down. Then it was time to suit up and send Sherrie and JC off. I knew they would both be strong in the race. They both trained hard.

I found Beth, Summer, and Jessica et al a ways down and we all got our game faces on before the big moment...

The SWIM 

I got down to the floating pier and in less than a minute after jumping in the water the air horn went off. I was breathing a bit hard because of treading water to fight the current pushing me past the buoys but didn't think it was going to be a problem. I put my face in the water and it went all downhill from there...

I suddenly wasn't able to breathe out under water. The wetsuit seemed like it was 3 sizes too SMALL all at once. I came up for air and felt like my lungs were overly full and throat too tight to let anything more in. I started to tell myself, calm down. Just breath every stroke, breath out, head up and in, stroke, breath out...but it wasn't working. Every time I put my head in the water it felt like an elephant was on my chest. 

I started side stroking my way and free-styling with my head out of the water while the wheezing grew in my chest. It is amazing what you start to think about. I just kept remembering the increased residual volume which causes the inability to take deep breaths in asthma attacks. I kept thinking, am I going to make it to the next buoy? Wave after wave of swimmers past me. I kept having to signal to the kayakers who asked me if I was okay a thumbs up...no sound would come out of my mouth...I was just struggling to stay afloat. 

Finally after what seemed like hours I got to the ramp. I stood up and walked a few steps before inhaling to deeply and going into a coughing fit, landing all fours face in the water again. Volunteers came to my side helping me stand up again. Medics were called and I was asked to go with them to the med tent. I asked if that meant my race over...and the solemn look on their faces confirmed. So I shook my head, coughed and ambled my way as fast as I could (more like a hobble) to transition. 

I found Rue somehow, grabbed the my inhaler from her airbox and threw myself on the ground taking 2 or 3 puffs as quickly as I could. I just focused on breathing. Finally after again what seemed like hours I was able to peel off my wet suit and get ready to ride.

Lessons learned:
- NEVER forget your inhaler
- You can grab onto a kayak/paddle board for rest
- Do not try to power through a swim in the middle of an asthma attack (i.e. do not try this at home)

The BIKE

I took it slow. My heart rate was up in the 190s at this point and still some residual chest tightness. Thankfully the first 15 miles of the course has little hills so I took some time recover. I kept the inhaler in my hand the majority of the first half, taking occasional puffs when coughing fits arose. Bad part was that my heart rate decided to stay in the 190s-200s throughout the majority of the bike. I stopped at the aid stations and refueled as best as I could. I knew my goals were toast after the hills started. My pace continued to decline and although my legs could handle it..cardio wise I was exhausted.

Lessons learned:
- Race directors, please don't put water stops on inclines
- Learn how to stand up and ride to power up hills for the next race
- Remember basic physiology and that continued use of albuterol for asthma causes tachycardia!

The RUN (or power walk in my case)

My race was shot at this point. I tried to run a bit but couldn't breath deeply enough for the effort. So I decided to power walk it. Amazingly though my legs felt good (must be the tri-bike and the Newtons). I looked at my watch and ran only when the heart rate dropped to low 180s for a few minutes. It was a long 13.1 miles, but eventually after tears, rain, yelling at myself when I was alone on Broad Street in Olde Town with no one either in front or behind to put one foot in front of the other...I caught up to JC who had been slowing down for me. It was wonderful...although I could barely talk and breath...it was a comfort to have him at my side...and we got to finish together. 

Lessons learned:
- The tri-bike did make a difference in the run
- Newtons are definitely a good shoe... no blisters or toenail bruising
- Volunteers/cheer squads who stand in the rain for hours for us final finishers ROCK!

The rest of the story was much more relaxing and helped prepare me for the next hurdle and I eventually recovered completely later that evening. It was trying race, but I am glad I got through it. I definitely earned that medal! 

I so thank my friends, family and training partners...I will not disappoint you next time!

2 comments:

  1. great job, jen! how you managed to get through the swim under attack is inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats Jen!!! you did amazing and i cannot believe you swam through an asthma attack! geez!

    ReplyDelete